Friday, July 05, 2013

Moving from Windows to Linux

I am primarily going to use this blog over the next several months as a way to keep track of my progress (or lack of it) in migrating my home network from a Windows-based network (with some Xbox, iPads, iPhones and Android phones thrown in for good measure) to a Linux-based network.

The first machine I'm migrating is a Fujitsu Lifebook T901. It was running Windows 7, with a lot of games, media programs, and developer tools.

The intention is to get Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring Ringtail) installed (though any Linux-based system will work for my purposes), and get it up to a point where I can be as productive (and entertained) on it as I have been on Windows. As soon as that is installed, and because I'm likely to muck up the works after install, I need to image the system in a known good state; so that when I get myself in a situation I don't know how to recover from, I can simply repave the system back to my last good configuration and settings.

Hopefully, going through this migration process in a public medium like this will wind up helping others who are looking to migrate from Windows to - well - anything else.

No comments: